Wednesday, February 9, 2011

2/9 - First Futbol Game!!! Viva Antigua!!!

Yes, that's yours truly with the mascot of the local professional soccer team, the Antigua 'Aguacateros'. In loose translation, the players are the Avocado Men. While I'm not sure what the avocado has to do with futbol, the team did win in its first game back in its home stadium (the stadium had been closed for 5 games due to an incident in the capital - Guatemala City).
This was perhaps the most authentic Guatemalan experience I've had to date, save eating 'Shukos' post-workshop two weeks ago.
From the firecrackers to the chants to the large flag to the near all-out brawl between teams, Rollo (my roommate from London) and I experienced some true Latin American futbol. It was simply great!
A little fun fact is that my Spanish teacher's (Silvia's) nephew plays for Antigua, and I was thus able to watch her 17-year old star defender (#7). He is quite talented.
Unquestionably though, the highlight of the the match for both Rollo and I was our decision to take a risk on 'eats' and try some home-made ice cream as sold out of Coleman coolers by various 'unofficial vendors'. No joke, for 4Q ($.50), I experienced the best dessert I've had while in Guatemala. This ice cream is essentially frozen fruit on a stick, mixed with a little bit of cream, purely a delight. I had strawberry banana while Rollo indulged in the coconut cream. Oh dear, unbelievable!!!
What we watched was 3rd league, whereas the 1st league (equivalent to MLS in US) plays in the capital in the national stadium. In conversation after the game, Sergio + Samuel (from the school, also our ride to the game) told us we may get a chance to go with the school next Wed to see an evening game. Updates to come...
Oddly enough I ate home-made shukos w/ guacamole for dinner this evening. Rounding out a VERY Guatemalan/Aguacatero day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive