Monday, January 10, 2011

Day 5 (1/8) - Antigua










On my second full day in the old capital, I decided to try on a run, not knowing exactly where I’d go, except that I wanted to discern the route to Cerro de la Cruz, which I hiked later in the afternoon. The roads are difficult, 95% cobblestone, and with many treacherous footings and not enough sidewalk to compensate. However, some quasi-rural routes exist to the NSEW of Antigua, which are each around 6km, and which I plan to run this week for morning exercise. Mornings are the calmest and best to run, just as in the States.
Since I enjoyed Fernando’s so much the first day, I decided to get another coffee there, with the intent to get updated on some local + international news, meanwhile bolstering the variety of Spanish I was learning.
Studies continued until lunch, after which I booked a trip for Pacaya Volcano (which I’ll be hiking starting 2pm this afternoon – 1/9), and headed up the short hike to Cerro de la Cruz, which has a great view of old Antigua, and is apparently the romantic spot of the city (quite a few couples).
A short diversion through La Posada de Don Rodrigo, THE SPOT for authentic marimba, one of the traditional instruments of Guatemala, as well as a terrific terrace view, graced with abundant flora.
On further meandering we (Julia, fellow volunteer, and I) witnessed a family, a father with two sons, also playing marimba, flute and doing some Mayan dances. It was a sight to behold.
Eventually we found our way home, where I continued studies until dinner, then onto dessert at Café Condesa, where I indulged in Macadamia Nut pie. Simply put, wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive